Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sweet 16 Panel Bag

I made this Panel bag a couple of months ago for a friend of Hayley's 16th birthday. We both went to Ikea to have a look at their fabrics ... Hayley chose this for her friend and another fabric for me to make a bag for her ... and, of course, I had to choose a fabric for a bag for me too!


It felt a bit odd cutting and measuring your own fabric which was then weighed and priced but I guess that is all part of the self-serve Ikea experience. Actually, we did get a bit lost trying to find the fabric department which is exactly what Ikea hopes will happen, isn't it!! And I'm sure we're not the first people to suffer that fate.

Even though it may not look like it, the fabric required a bit of layout planning before cutting so that I had the birds/flowers/leaves exactly where I wanted them.

This is the third Panel bag from Nicole Mallalieu Design I've made and it came together easily, all due to Nikki's very clear, comprehensive pattern instructions.

I chose to make the pleated version, including both the zip pocket on one side and the compartment pocket on the other. The fabulously shiny 38mm square edged o-rings on the shoulder strap and 19mm magnetic catch really finish the bag off beautifully!

The nice, shiny and smooth satin lining ... mmmmm

It is a surprisingly roomy bag ... I'm currently using one as my handbag and it can hold loads of other people's stuff so you are never short for room which is great!

Hayley's friend loved the bag and was using it straight away so that made me a very happy girl!!



6 comments:

Nikki said...

That Ikea fabric is a winner - and worth the bizarre shopping experience involved.

You've got me thinking about that scaled down version of the Panel bag again.

Naomi - off the beaten track said...

Fabulous material and lining and love the strap links. Did you get extras in the end after following Ikea's yellow brick road or manage to jst pick things up and then actually put them back down again??

Frances said...

Love this bag Adele - shops like that are a trap, you did well if you didn't gather up more items than intended!!

Anna Bartlett said...

Lovely bag and a terrific finish - lucky friend!

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Adele..I would love to visit Ikea again for it's fabric..they have lovely bold prints..that obviously make up well into terrific handbags!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh great sewing, silk lining is fabulous!! Don't forget to be a follower to win my giveaway, love Posie

Locations of Site Visitors

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP