Powered by Blogger.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Introducing my 'Baby Ballerina' ...

... a.k.a. my Hottie Challenge entry!! 


A few posts back I have you a sneak peek at the colour scheme I was planning for my Hottie Challenge. This weekend I've had a bit of fun creating this teeny, tiny leotard and knotted tutu combo.


'Baby Ballerina' Hottie Challenge entry

But before I go any further ...... Are you wondering what on earth a hottie is??

Hottie is short for hot water bottle and is something we used to use quite a bit in the winter time as children because we didn't have electric blankets.

The idea of the challenge is to create a cover for a hottie using whatever art or textile technique you like, keeping the neck open so that it can be displayed at Opendrawer in Camberwell (Victoria, Australia). The Hottie Challenge is Opendrawer's first project to help raise money for the Margaret Pratt Foundation (Research for Heart and Lung Transplants).

After deciding fairly early on that I'd like to create something 'costumey', my inspiration came from the many leotards I've made and tutus decorated in the last seven years for my daughter Hayley's old ballet school.

After adding a little bit of lace trim around the neckline I couldn't resist adding a few seed beads, hot fix swarovski crystals and pearls ... it just wouldn't be a costume without those added extras, would it?


As a whole it's not a functional hottie cover but I've made the knotted tutu easily removable so it can be used as a dress-up for either a soft toy (it fits Winnie the Pooh perfectly!) or even a 2 - 3 year old!!

Last year Winnie very graciously modeled a knotted tutu that was made for 2 & 3 year olds dancing in a ballet concert.
In fact Winnie was the perfect model, sitting patiently and extremely still while I knotted on each tulle piece!!
His belly was just the right size for this job :-)

A little peek underneath

If you are interested in dropping by to see all the finished entries, they will be displayed at Opendrawer's Gallery, 1158 Torrak Road, Camberwell from Friday 1 July to Sunday 24 July 2011. You will also have the opportunity to vote for your favourite hottie cover.

After this, all the hottie covers will be donated to the Margaret Pratt Foundation for sale.

A special thank you to CurlyPops Cam for doing such a wonderful job organising a bloggers group entry. Please pop over to Cam's fabulous blog where, amongst lots of other wonderful entries, you can keep right up-to-date on our group hottie challenge entries. Scroll down the page to 'Hottie Features' and click on the number to see the hottie or the name to visit their blog.

14 comments:

Vireya said...

Love it!!

Carly Findlay said...

So gorgeous :) I love this!

Nikki said...

You clever girl! It's adorable!!
(And I think Winnie the Pooh needs a permanent tutu. He wears it well!!)

CurlyPops said...

OMG when you said you were making a hottie based on a costume, I never dreamed that it could be that fantastic! I love it!

Unknown said...

Wow! Awesome job!

Allison said...

That is TOO TOO delightful!!!

Naomi - off the beaten track said...

This is gorgeous Adele and I agree with Nikki - Pooh bear is the perfect model. If all entries are this creative it will be an amazing display to view.

Fiona said...

Oh that is adorable. I like the fact that the tutu comes off - can't imagine that being very cosy in bed!! And Teddy definitely needs his own tutu - he looks so good in one

Adele - A Lass from Downunder said...

Thank you all so much for your enthusiastic and complimentary comments.

I think Winnie the Pooh may be in for a new outfit by popular demand ... although I'm not sure how he'll feel about being dressed in a tutu :-)

Anna Bartlett said...

Fantastic hottie! I've been wracking my brain to do something people might want to bid on, but you've already done exactly that. Well done!

Frances said...

Great creative hottie cover Adele ... fantastic that a little girl can take off the skirt and wear it - I'm sure that will appeal ... Pooh Bear is the prize model sitting on the cat scratch pole!! How handsome can a boy be?? xxx ooo

Rachel Todd said...

LOVE it too ... great kids gifts!! Have just re-signed up to follow you, so now will be up to date. Loved the memorial you did for dad ... very cool! xxxx

Kelly Casanova said...

How very cute - that will really stand out on display!

Nelly said...

Saw this at Curly Pops and had to drop in and say its gorgeous well done.

Locations of Site Visitors

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP